The Black Diamond Guide BT has extensive features for excellent functionality ideal for frequent recreational as well as professional users. It is based on the Pieps DSP Pro, but with added Bluetooth capability and improved functionality. As Pieps and Black Diamond are owned by the same company this is the same as the Pieps Pro BT.
Advanced users who are prepared to practice with and use the advanced functions offered.
The Bluetooth connection allows the management of settings, software updates and battery optimization. This is done via a smartphone or tablet using the Pieps mobile app.
Operation and Search
The Guide BT has a large segmented screen to display all the search information. The search, send, off is controlled by a slider and there are 2 buttons on the front of the device which control the marking, scanning and advanced functions.
The Guide BT has a very good range of 60m, this is also circular in shape rather than elliptical so it's more likely to pick up a signal from further than other transceivers without this detection pattern. The search works in much the same way as other transceivers with distance and direction displayed once a signal is detected.
It features automatic interference protection which allows it to switch between it's antennas should it detect interference. It will also display if it detects a signal from an older device which is not transmitting as expected and which may not be detected by other units. It does support the Pieps iProbe.
For multiple burials the Guide BT displays an icon for each different signal received (1, 2, 3 and 4 or more). It will lock onto the strongest signal and guide you to that victim. It has a mark function which will ignore the marked signal so you can search for another victim, leaving others to do the fine search and dig up the person you have already found.
The Guide BT has a number of advanced functions to help with the search process, these are outlined below.
- Scan - tells you how many victims within 5 meters, 20 meters and 60 meters. This gives the searcher a greater understanding of the overall search scenario.
- Victim Selection - while using the scan function you can select which signal you would like to follow.
- Analog Mode - removes the digital signal processing for advanced search strategies or educational use.
- Vibra - The device will vibrate upon receiving the first signal during search and as a confirmation of transmit mode.
- Inclinometer - useful for checking slope angle.
- TX600 support - can be set to receive signals from the TX600 mini transmitter which should be used for dogs and equipment.
If you think you won't ever use any of these functions or aren't the type of person who is prepared to test them and work out in which situations you would want to use them then the Black Diamond Recon BT transceiver is probably a better choice than the Guide BT as it has the same basic functionality but without the advanced functions mentioned above.
- Firmware Version:
- 3 x AAA batteries (included)
- Battery Life:
- 400hrs (send)
- 115 x 75 x 28mm