The Petzl Ascension has been proven over 30 years and remains the bench mark for handled ascenders. The Ascension's ergonomic molded handle allows a comfortable grip whilst allowing power to be put through the device giving confidence while pulling on the ascender. It has a wide opening so it can be easily grabbed, even with thick gloves and the upper part of the handle is designed maximize power when pulling with both hands.
The safety catch is totally integrated into the body of the ascender to help prevent snagging and the toothed cam has a self-cleaning slot to improve performance under difficult conditions, such as frozen or dirty ropes. The wide lower hole allows room for 2 carabiners to be easily attached for both a lanyard and a footloop and there's an upper hole for clipping a carabiner around the rope. The big-waller, mountaineer or caver should never leave home without the Ascension.
Petzl Ascension Features
- Ergonomic molded handle allows a comfortable yet powerful grip
- Ergonomic upper part to maximize power when pulling with two hands
- Wide opening allows the handle to be easily grasped, even with thick gloves
- Safety catch to help prevent snagging
- Toothed cam with self-cleaning slot
- Wide lower hole allows for 2 carabiners
- Upper hole for clipping a carabiner around the rope
- For use with ropes between 8 and 13 mm in diameter
- Black frame with yellow handle (left), yellow frame with black handle (right)
Customer Reviews of Petzl Ascension
Reasonable weight ascender predominantly used for fixed line travel.
Pros: Good weight, ergonomic handle for everything from shells to mitts, relatively simple operation.
Cons: A stretch to the thumb latch for smaller hands, and difficult to keep in a free running (descending) position without locking it open. (Also used a black diamond version which was far better for this).