The Barryvox is an intermediate level transceiver with 3 antenna and a mark function. It's based on the more advanced Barryvox S and removes the advanced functions leaving a simple to use transceiver but with plenty of clever technology working away behind the scenes. The Mammut Barryvox is the replacement for the Barryvox Element.
Any users who want a simple, highly effective transceiver without having to use a menu or worry about optional functions.
Ease of Use
The Barryvox has a 2 inch segmented screen which gives a clear display of the search instructions. In normal search mode it will display the distance, direction and number of received signals. The search/send/off switch is on the top of the device and features an automatic lock preventing it from being changed from send by accident. The mark button is on the front of the device and is easy to operate with gloves on. There are no other buttons on the Barryvox and its single button operation will appeal to those who value simplicity.
One the most notable improvements is the larger range that the Barryvox transceivers have; the strip search width is given as 70m which will allow the search area to be covered more quickly than before.
The Barryvox is able to handle multiple burial situations well and has a mark function which allows you to suppress the signal of a transceiver so you can continue to search whilst others dig up the victim.
Other features the Barryvox includes are a reverse direction function which will direct you to make a 180° turn if you're consistently getting further from the target; an auto revert which will automatically switch to send from search if there is no movement within 4 minutes; self test on startup and group test for checks at the start of the day.
The Barryvox comes with a 5 year warranty and is software updatable by a Mammut service centre (Facewest are one).
Mammut Barryvox Specifications
- Software Version:
- Harness & leash:
- 3 x AAA (included)
- 205g (incl. batteries)
- Battery Life:
- 300hrs (send)
- 115 x 67 x 27mm
Customer Reviews of Mammut Barryvox
A great transceiver
- Very intuitive to use.
- The transceiver guides you aurally and visually onto the sending unit.
- Picks up a signal very quickly and a good range.
- Whilst training with this transceiver I had a disproportionate number of first strikes with the probe compared to others using different brands of transceiver, this was even with transceivers buried up to 1.25m deep.
- The harness initially appears great, but unfortunately the lanyard has a habit of getting in the way and preventing the security strap being fastened. not a deal breaker but it requires attention until it becomes habit.
- The transceivers great range can cause problems, during transceiver training we noted that the barryvox would pick up signals that nobody else could. and on occasion it would pick up ghost signals (Possibly theremnants of signal from people in the group switching from send to search??).
- The barrybox processors don't seem quite up to managing marked transceivers and searching for others. whilst conducting range checks marking checked transceivers would reduce the searching range to the point the third transceiver wasn't picked up. (I'm sure this is something that will be fixed in the next update.)
Overall a good intuitive transceiver, its easy to use, aesthetically pleasing and above all works! it does have its faults, but doesn't everything!