The Barryvox S has an extensive range of features paired with excellent functionality with an easy to use display and controls. It is the replacement for the Barryvox Pulse which has been the industry standard top of the range transceiver used by the majority of guides and rescue services. The focus on improving the Barryvox models has been on ease of use and simplicity in understanding what the transceiver is telling the user. Of course there is also an improvement to the technology.
Any users, beginner to professional, who are looking for the best technology and multiple features/functionality in an easy to use format.
Ease of Use
The Barryvox S has a 2.2 inch full graphic screen which gives a clear display of the search with a menu down the side. In normal search mode it will display the distance, direction and number of received signals. The mark button is on the front of the device and is easy to operate with gloves on, it also serves as the enter button for the menu. On the side there are 2 buttons which access and control the advanced features.
Both the Barryvox transceivers have a notably larger search range than other similar transceivers; the strip search width is given as 70m, as opposed to a more normal 30-40m, this will allow the search area to be covered more quickly than before.
Other features on the Barryvox S include a reverse direction function which will direct you to make a 180° turn if you're consistently getting further from the target; an auto revert which will automatically switch to send from search; a Rescue-Send Mode which sets the device to neither receiver or transmit signals; if no motion is detected it will switch back to send mode; self test on startup and group test for checks at the start of the day.
The Auto Guidance function which reduces interruptions to searching, and the Smart Search function which reduces the fine search by optimizing the final stages of the coarse search run automatically in the background with no input from the user.
The following features can be switched on and off as required to give a much greater control over the search:
- Pro Search - an on/off function which tells the user to change their search strategy/pattern as the transceiver has detected other nearby signals.
- Rescue-Send Mode - This stops the transceiver sending or receiving without switching it off. This allows a searcher to assist with a rescue without adding electronic noise to the search area. In the event of a secondary avalanche the transceiver will switch to send mode.
- List of buried subjects - this lists the transceivers being 'seen' by the device, it also allows marking and unmarking of each one.
- Analogue mode - no digital processing, simply gives the audio signals from the receiver, it also increases the receiving range.
- Personalization - start screen and owner details can be customised and added to the device.
- The auto revert feature and the display and audio guidance can be customised.
- Vital data transmit - 3D sensor transmits information such as tiny movements and heart rate to other Barryvox devices.
- Compatible with Lithium batteries which are more stable in low temperatures.
If you think you won't ever use any of these functions or aren't the type of person who is prepared to test them and work out in which situations you would want to use them then the Barryvox transceiver is probably a better choice than the Barryvox S as it has the same basic functionality but without the advanced functions mentioned above.
The Barryvox S has a 5 year warranty.
Mammut Barryvox S Specifications
- Software Version:
- Harness & leash:
- 3 x AAA (included)