The Mountain Equipment Tupilak is a 37 litre weather resistant climbing pack that's ideal for summer alpine and winter climbing, though its versatility will allow it to be used for a wide variety of mountain sports.
Constructed from PACT fabric, which is a densely woven high tenacity double rip-stop nylon, making it super robust yet still incredibly lightweight. The main body of the pack uses the strongest version of this fabric, offering high abrasion and puncture resistance. The base is reinforced providing structure and durability to the pack. A lighter version of PACT is used in the upper body, cowl and the internal roll-top closure. All of the PACT fabric is DWR finished for water/snow shedding performance and has an air and water impermeable TPU internal coating. This results in the outer of the Tupilak being durable, lightweight and able to keep the contents fully protected from the elements.
The Tupilak features an hour glass shape which maximises load stability and packability. The main body of the pack is slightly tapered at its core and is more streamlined, this assists with mobility. Lightweight, supportive and comfortable high density EVA foam is used throughout; in the back panel, providing excellent torsional stability and flex control, in the shoulder straps, providing a contoured fit which will not mis-shape over time and in the hip-fins, to assist with distributing weight and to enhance load carrying comfort.
The pack is sealed by an integrated cowl-lid closure with the addition of a single securing Grappler buckle. This is easily opened and closed with one hand and with or without gloves on. An internal weather-proof cowl creates a seal from the elements and can be used as a divider for wet kit to be carried on top and if not required can be tucked inside the pack. A very handy internal floating pocket is accessible from both inside and outside the pack making it ideal for storing readily needed items such as headtorch, gloves, maps, etc. The dual ice axe head toggles are custom developed, lightweight and strong and are removable. The faired fins are designed so that they will fit a wide range of ice tools and integrated pockets protect the axes picks. All the straps on the pack can be removed if required and they are also available as spare parts should they become worn or damaged.
Mountain Equipment Tupilak 37 Features
- PACT 300 high tenacity 6.6 yarn, double RS Nylon in the main body
- PACT 300 double layered in base and high wear areas
- PACT 100 in the upper body, cowl and internal roll top closure
- DWR outer and 25 micron TPU internally treated PACT
- Uncoated PACT 100 internal lining
- Integrated cowl-lid closure with Grappler buckle
- Internal weather-proof cowl
- Floating internal pocket with dual access
- Removable high density 7mm EVA back panel
- High density 5mm EVA contoured shoulder straps
- 40mm webbing hipbelt with removable high density 5mm EVA hip fins
- Dual axe toggles with integrated pick pocket
- Sternum strap
- Side compression straps with aliminium Hammerhead toggles
- Front and rear haul loops
- External shockcord and daisychain system
- 780g, stripped weight 570g
- Back length:
- Magma or Graphite
Customer Reviews of Mountain Equipment Tupilak 37 (Summer 19)
I haven't used it yet but seems impressively light while achieving really good functionality.
Best I have used for ski mountaineering. Light, practical and so easy to use. Skis, axe, even a pair of huge antlers all fit easily. Also really like the stowage system in the top for simple accommodation of ski skins etc.