The Edelrid Giga Jul is an innovative and increadibly versatile belay device. Thanks to a sliding mechanism the Giga Jul can be switched between regular and assisted braking mode. To use in assisted brake mode the slider is moved to the 'top' of the plate, while the thumb loop allows for smooth playing out when belaying a leader. The hybrid design body is made from lightweight aluminium, with stainless steel in areas of abrasion.
The self-locking Guide Mode is extremely useful for those who climb with multiple seconds or for multi-pitch routes where one person will be doing most of the leading. It allows both seconds to be bought up at once, or for the second to be brought up on a direct belay to your anchor. This lets you climb more quickly, but also potentially increases safety margins when you're alpine climbing. The Auto-block release hole is large enough to accept a small carabiner making lowering a second much easier.
Edelrid Giga Jul Features:
- Switch between regular and assisted braking belay
- Guide Mode works with one or two climbers ascending or descending
- Enlarged auto-block release hole to accept a small carabiner
- Durable cable holds its shape and resists getting caught between ropes
- Handles ropes from 7.1mm to 10mm